I have been teaching around the country about Israel for a few years, and I am amazed at the theological disconnect that many have, especially in many Christian denominations, about Israel. Many read “Israel” in the Bible as story or an allegory that only communicates certain Godly characteristics and themes, yet do not realize that our Bibles are coming to pass — right now — and it’s happening just as the prophets said.
Ezekiel 28:25-26 says that God will regather Israel from the nations that they were scattered to the land promised to Jacob and the nations will see it. Israel became a nation again in 1948 for the first time in over 2000 years and I’m pretty sure the nations have noticed. God told Israel that they were not to be like other nations, but to stand out and be different. Israel has accomplished in its first 60 years what some nations have not achieved in centuries. Here are some ways that God is causing Israel to stand out in the world and the nations.
Israel, the 100th smallest country, with less than 1/1000th of the world’s population, can make claim to the following:
- Israel is the only liberal democracy in the Middle East.
- Israel has the world’s second highest per capita of new books.
- Israel has more museums per capita than any other country.
- Israel has two official languages: Hebrew and Arabic.
- Israel has the highest ratio of university degrees to the population in the world.
- Israel has the highest percentage in the world of home computers per capita.
- Israel has the third highest rate of entrepreneurship – and the highest rate among women, and among people over 55 – in the world.
- Relative to its population, Israel is the largest immigrant-absorbing nation on earth. Immigrants come in search of democracy, religious freedom, and economic opportunity.
- Israel is ranked #2 in the world for venture capital funds right behind the US.
- Israel has the highest average living standards in the Middle East. The per capita income in 2000 was over $17,500, exceeding that of the UK.
- Israel’s $100 billion economy is larger than all of its immediate neighbors combined.
Outside the United States and Canada, Israel has the largest number of NASDAQ listed companies.
Excerpt from “The Christian’s Biblical Guide to Understanding Israel”… available at www.EzraAdventures.com.